Monday, March 2, 2009

Post #1!

So. This is my first ever attempt at blogging. The idea of having a blog has vaguely interested me in the past, but I've never really felt that compelled to do it. One of the goals of my recent (and soon to be ended) unemployment was to do some writing, which I have not really gotten around to doing much of. I thought it might be a good idea to start a blog, to give myself a forum to write and maybe make me stick to something. Of course, I didn't really do anything with this thought. But I was talking to my sister the other day telling her about my immanent employment working for the 2010 census, and she (maybe jokingly?) suggested that I do a photo-journalism project about it, and I thought that it might be fun to start a blog about it.

From there, I started thinking that I have quite a bit of thoughts around work, and that, especially in this time of rampant unemployment/under-employment, it might be something worth writing about. Topics to cover include: Jobs I've had, jobs I currently have, jobs I might have in the future, my/society's relationship to work and employment, and the difference between work and employment. I might branch out from these themes or I might quit after one post.

Also, I feel far from committed to this title. If anyone has any ideas, please tell me them.

xo,
mj

No comments: