Monday, March 23, 2009

I've definitely been slacking on this, but I'm trying to at least keep it going a little bit, if for no other reason than to keep myself processing and reviewing. The working for the census has been vaguely interesting, but also a lot of tediousness. The "address canvassing" operation, of which I am a part, doesn't actually start for another two weeks. I had my training the week before last, then the crew leader assistants have their training this week, and the listers have their training the following week, meaning there's a nice long gap in between my training and when I actually start working. I'm learning that a large part of working for the federal government involves a lot of waiting around and trying to fill hours with what amounts to busy work while things are getting rearranged all over the place and no one really knows what's going on. It's especially accentuated with something like the census which only happens once every ten years, so it's not like anyone's in a good rhythm for doing this. I've been trying to keep myself in the mindset that I'm getting paid,. even if I'm not really doing anything some of the time, but I can't help but feel that if I'm doing nothing, I'd rather be doing nothing in the comfort of my own home. It's ok though, because in a couple of weeks, everything will begin going bananas.

Today as I was walking around my district I saw a hawk by McGlorick Park in greenpoint. I was walking by the park and saw a group of pigeons flee from where they were all gathered in the park, almost hitting an old man in the head. I then looked up and saw a hawk sitting in the tree. Here's an article from the Brooklyn Paper about a hawk moving into McCarren Park a couple of years ago: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/30/47/30_47redtailhawk.html. Also here's a Youtube clip of a hawk in McGlorick Park around the same time the article was written. It's not really all that interesting, but you do get to see the hawk playing with something it recently killed if you're into that sorta thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grmz_fZFCKg



It could be the same hawk, but would a hawk stray that far from its nest to go hunting? I'm sure there are plenty of pigeons and what not at McCarren. Maybe he just wanted to sample the McGlorick pigeons for a change of scenery, or maybe he's been forced further into Greenpoint due to Williamsburg gentrification spill-over. Perhaps it could be a relative who's moved into the neighborhood or even a child, moving out on its own, trying to stake out a park of its own. The possibilites are endless!

I think my favorite part of the article is: "like some humans, they are serially monogamous and form longstanding mating pairs." I'm not sure what the author is getting at by having the "some" in there. Does he think that we wouldn't get the connection he was making if he hadn't explained that some humans were also monogamous? Is he hinting that he wishes humans were more (or less) like hawks in their commitment to monogamy? Or is he just acknowledging that the decisions one makes in regards to monogamy vs. polyamory are vast and wide-rangning for all species of animal? Again, endless possiblities!

Another interesting thing I noticed today was a block where every house has an American flag on its front gate. I imagine it must be some coordinated effort by a homeowner's association or something, but it creates kind of an eerie sensation. I didn't even realize that something was off until I was halfway along the block and it hit me that I felt like I was on my own private parade rout marching down a red, white, and blue-lined corridor. Maybe they were honoring the census.

I'm hungry for dinner now, but soon I'll write more about how I'm feeling about job stuff and what I want to with my life, as well as more past jobs, because I think that's fun.

xo,
mj

No comments: