Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The building of an immaculate resume, Pt. 1

I've worked quite a few jobs, and in this time of transition, I thought I might reflect on what I've done, just for fun. Here's the first few that span from age 16-18. These are nothing really out of the ordinary, with no profound realizations really coming from them, but I figure I might as well start at the beginning. This may be real boring to read, but it's fun for me to write, so there.

My first job was at a CVS. I only worked there for a few months, and I don't have too many clear memories of it. I remember when kids from my high school started to realize that I would sell them cigarettes, and I remember that when I quit, the manager said something along the lines of, "where are you gonna find a better job than this? McDonald's?"

My next job was at a kosher pizza place called Pizza Cave. I worked there my senior year of high school, and I had dreads most of the time I worked there. I used to sneak into the walk-in fridge and grab handfuls of shredded mozzarella from the tubs it was stored in. And there was this one family I delivered to at least four times, and each time they sent out a different child to answer the door and pay me in exact change and shut the door right away. Jerks!

My next couple of jobs were at summer camps. The first one was called Deerkill, and it was in Suffern, NY. I was assistant counselor for a group of 8-year-olds. The kids seemed to all be from pretty rich families, and this was the first times I was ever really introduced to the crazy prevalence of behavioral drugs. At my orientation, we were being told that after lunch we would take all the campers that needed medication to the nurse. The vast majority of the medication was Ritalin. "Trust me," someone said, "Ritalin is a counselor's best friend."

At the end of the summer, there was a night-time party for the counselors. There was a keg, and I'm pretty sure this was the first time I ever puked from drinking. The weird thing is that I was puking all over the place, right in the middle of conversations, and no-one really seemed to pay me much mind. I think I even vomited next to the pool, and someone stepped in it.

The next year I worked at Teaneck Sports and Arts, the last time I would ever live in my hometown. This job basically consisted of sitting around doing very little and every once in a while getting up to play basketball or dodgeball with the campers. That's really all I remember from it. That and beating Ezra in basketball while the rest of the staff watched. Sorry, ez.

That's all for now.

xo,
mj

No comments: